O’Donnell taps Davis for ad magic
The U.S. Senate candidate who once “dabbled in witchcraft” has brought onto her campaign team an ad man infamous for making demons out of sheep.
Delaware GOP Senate nominee Christine O’Donnell has tapped the California-based Fred Davis and his Strategic Perception Inc. to produce commercials for her underdog battle against Democrat Chris Coons, her campaign has confirmed to POLITICO.
Reached while shooting an ad for Arizona House candidate Ben Quayle, Davis said working for O’Donnell will be an “interesting challenge.”
“A great campaign team and people I know who know O’Donnell well think the world of her,” Davis said.
In addition to Quayle and O’Donnell, Davis is working for California GOP Senate nominee Carly Fiorina, whom he produced a “demon sheep” Web video for during the primary that went viral on cable news and in political circles. The ad featured a man dressed in a sinister sheep costume to drive home the point that Fiorina’s primary challenger, Tom Campbell, was a wolf in sheep’s clothing on fiscal issues.
A spokeswoman for O’Donnell also said the campaign has also hired conservative Washington lawyer Cleta Mitchell to serve as the team’s attorney. A former state representative in Oklahoma, Mitchell has advised candidates, corporations and nonprofits on election and campaign finance law for more than three decades.
“She works with some of the biggest organizations in the movement,” said O’Donnell spokeswoman Diana Banister.
Banister would not confirm whether any other hires were imminent: “No big names but a lot of volunteers and supporters making their way to Delaware to help whatever way possible.”
O’Donnell heads into the general election facing a double-digit deficit, according to polls taken since her stunning Sept. 14 victory over nine-term Rep. Mike Castle. This week, Castle left on the table the possibility of mounting a write-in campaign, a prospect he will poll before settling on a final decision, according to a Republican with knowledge of the plan.
For his part, Coons has mostly stayed out of the fray when it comes to O’Donnell and her litany of controversial statements and financial woes. His campaign went up with a new 30-second TV ad Friday that says Coons will “end the bailouts,” halt tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas and work to impose a lifetime ban on senators becoming lobbyists.
- Ad Wars of 2016 Campaign Erupt in a Changing TV Arena
- Governors Join in Creating Regional Pacts on Climate Change
- John Kasich Super-PAC Borrows Trump-like Helicopter for New TV Ad
- Ad War Breaks Out Between Jeb Bush and John Kasich
- Staffing Up: John Kasich’s Super-PAC Hires Fred Davis as Media Strategist
- Mark Halperin and John Heilemann are joined by Democratic strategist Bob Shrum, Republican strategist Fred Davis and author Jon Meacham on “With All Due Respect.”
- Why Fred Davis is going to miss John Kasich
- Mark Halperin and John Heilemann are joined by New Day for America’s Fred Davis on “With All Due Respect.”
- This episode of Bloomberg TV’s “With All Due Respect” was shot at the Hollywood offices of Strategic Perception Inc.
- Outside GOP group goes in big for Shuster
- Pennsylvania ad: Kasich doesn’t quit
- Pro-Kasich ad hints Trump, Cruz are ‘crazy’
- Drones fly into the political ad wars
- O’Donnell taps Davis for ad magic
- Can McCain’s ads win an Oscar?
- This new anti-Ted Cruz ad is creeptastic
- New Day for America: “Kelly’s courage”
- John Kasich — remember him? — is on the rise in New Hampshire
- Kasich taps two veteran advisers for expected presidential campaign
- This is the ad that won David Perdue the Georgia Senate nomination
- Jon Huntsman to resign from Obama administration
- A tour of a political ad guru’s viral hits for the GOP
- The Fix: The best (positive) campaign ad of the cycle?
- Morning Fix: The Boxer blimp, the Demon Sheep and Fred Davis
- Morning Fix: The best ads we’ve seen so far in the 2010 midterms
- Morning Fix: Are Primaries A Good Thing?
- Race, Celebrity and the Presidential Campaign
- Washington Post’s Fix Blog: McCain Expands Campaign Media Team
- Brand on the Run
- ONE Campaign Hits Airwaves
- Super PAC supporting John Kasich runs Trump-inspired ad
- 2010’s Campaign Scare Tactics
- G.O.P. Ad Maker Fred Davis
- Hot Ads of the Week: GOP Challengers Hitting Dems Hard
- Hot Ads of the Week: GOP Challengers Hitting Dems Hard
- Political Attack Ads Hit the Net
- Super PAC Contrasts Kasich With Trump in New Ad
- The GOP’s Hottest Mad Man
- Best Viral Campaign Ads of 2010
- The GOP Mastermind of Carly Fiorina’s Demon-Sheep Ad
- The Anti-Obama Campaign That Didn’t Happen
- Halperin’s Take: The Five Most Important People in American Politics Not Running for President
- For Kasich, New Hampshire Presence Is Paying Off
- The Problem With Illinois Politics? It’s the Hair (Blagojevich’s, That Is)
- As Economic Crisis Peaked, Tide Turned Against McCain
- McCain Team Scrambles to Rescript Show
- Kasich PAC Won’t Go Negative in New TV Ad Despite South Carolina’s Dirty Politics Reputation
- McCain Beefs Up Ad Roster for General Election
- California Governor’s ‘Backwards’ Spot a Masterpiece
- Kasich super-PAC ad features “The Hug” — and Tim Allen
- Kasich hires strategist known for provocative campaign ads.
- Kasich super PAC secures top adman Fred Davis ahead of possible ’16 bid
- Fracking wars hit the silver screen with supporters’ film “Truthland”
- How political ads get inside your head
- Pro-Huntsman effort launches website, offering 2012 clues
- John King with Fred Davis: Political ads to remember
- GOP’s ad wizard faces ‘demons,’ supports ‘nerds’
- GOP ad “guru” Fred Davis
- John King’s Political Fact Check
- Richard Shelby’s first TV ad of 2016 focuses on visits to all 67 Alabama counties
- Gubernatorial candidate Tim James’ ad ignites Alabama GOP primary
- Exclusive — Colorado Senate Ad Compares Illegal Immigration to Exploding Toilet, D.C. Dysfunction to Proctology Exam
- Meet David Perdue — He Might Be Georgia’s Next Senator
- Georgia’s Senate Race Has the Best Ads of 2014 (So Far)
- David Perdue Portrays GOP Primary Opponents As Crying Babies In Campaign Ad
- California Senate: How Carly Fiorina Pulled Off Her Big “Upset” in the GOP Primary
- Jim Galloway on the 2014 Georgia Senate race.
- Mad Man – the makings of a good political ad
- SPI Once Again Makes the Top Ten
- Nobody does viral ads better than Fred Davis
- FIRST READ: Top 10 TV Ads
- From the ad man who brought us “demon sheep,” a few regrets.
- As Obama hits the campaign trail, “Mourning in America” ad greets him, recalling the Reagan era
- PolitiCal: Demon Sheep creator strikes again
- Fiorina’s “demon sheep” creator speaks
- GOP Increasing Its Lead Over Democrats
- Frank Luntz Focus Groups the “Language” Ad on Hannity
- Alabama Gubernatorial Candidate Tim James Defends Controversial ‘Learn English’ Ad